Did you know that 70% of worldwide email traffic is either spam or has malicious attached documents? According to reports, there is a malware attack every 40 seconds, 66% of which is downloaded content from emails attachments. These statistics alone are proof that cyber-criminals do not slow down, and in order to keep up, we need to be vigilant too. In an enterprise where most of the internal and external communications are done via emails, introducing email security solutions become a top priority.
As we all know, email makes professional communication seamless. This loosely translates to the fact that any information or files shared between parties can be easily accessed by attackers. From sensitive financial data to confidential negotiations and contracts, nothing is safe as long as additional email protection methods are not employed.
In a world where online phishing, scams and malware attacks are taking place in established industry giants, the time has come to create an extra layer of protection with email security solutions.
In today’s post, we are going to explore in detail, the importance of email protection in the cyber security landscape of your enterprise.
1.Cyber-attacks perpetrated via email can affect the entire organization - As per estimates, an average business email user receives over 4000 malicious or harmful content every year. One malicious email is capable of holding your entire business information and systems hostage.
2.Regular email filters do not hold up to their promise - Basic email features that promise to filter out spam and other related content are not enough in the present cyber security scenario. Malware attacks are now sophisticated and can easily break through enterprise security systems, to wreak havoc on sensitive company data. Hackers, these days can easily redirect a normal URL to a phishing URL, making it even more difficult for anti-spam filters to recognize the threat.
3.Standard email filters can only identify known threats - Our in-built email filters cannot predict new malware attacks. It can only identify threats that have already happened before. Considering that 91% of malware attacks start with phishing or spear-phishing attempts, you need to take steps to strengthen enterprise email security.
Looking to defend your organization from malicious attacks? Read our article to know more about malware threats faced by enterprises - Importance of timely malware detection.
Email protection allows enterprises to incorporate robust policies into their cyber security framework. Email security products are specifically designed to tackle known and unknown malicious threats with provisions to continuously evolve and adapt to advanced malware. The right email security tools help organizations to defend their internal mailing systems and deter imposter attacks.
The most prominent malware attacks that occur through email have a personal touch. To simplify, hackers generally pose as known people to extract important information or steal sensitive company data. Sophisticated hacker attacks need equally efficient email security products to successfully eliminate any security risks.
Among a host of products available in the market, here is how you can choose the right email security tools for your business.
1. Efficient Inbound Protection - Your email security solution should be able to provide customizable email filters along with provisions to automatically update the filters to track new treats. Advanced email security products are capable of providing fast delivery of emails after successful scans. There are equipped with cloud processing capabilities to ensure that your email server is not slowed down with excessive filtering.
2. Ensure Outbound Protection - The right email protection tools should also be able to filter out outgoing emails to ensure that you send out only legitimate, approved emails that do not leak any confidential information or finance-related data.
3. Advanced Anti-Spam Feature - Basic email security solutions fail to identify unknown threats. The tools that you employ should be capable to analyze the quality of content you are receiving before you get to click on the email. This prevents suspicious entities from entering into the security landscape of your business.
4. Identify Phishing Attacks - Phishing is a very prevalent way in which untrained or unsuspecting employees fall prey to malware attacks. When looking for email security solutions, invest in products that can recognize improper correspondence. Even though advanced phishing mails are crafted in a very authentic fashion, hi-tech solutions like AI and machine learning can distinguish between content that is legitimate and malicious ones.
5. Solutions to Resolve Post-Email Delivery Issues - While most email protection tools focus on preventing malware attacks, there is a growing need for products that can also address attacks occurring after the content has been delivered to the mailbox. Your security tool should be able to integrate with the back up interfaces of your enterprise to help recover your system from successful cyber-attacks.
6. Provides Malware Sandboxing - Sandboxing tools are an integral part of cyber security space of an enterprise. Employing sandboxing techniques into email protection can help enhance email security. The technology efficiently separated suspicious or malicious elements from email attachments or its content and then presents it to security analysts for detailed inspection. This practice helps to prevent system infections.
7. Easy Integration - Email security tools should be able to integrate with correspondence products used by employees in enterprises. As discussed earlier, basic anti-spam tools do not have advanced features that prevent phishing and provide sandboxing. Your choice of products for email protection should be such that they act as a supplement to your existing email security tools while also providing extra cyber protection.
With everything happening online, the need has arisen for enterprises to secure their communication channels. It is well-known that more most cyber-attacks occur due to preventable human errors and it has nothing to do with faults in security frameworks. While proper training and knowledge transfer about cyber threats is important, enterprises should also consider to invest in state-of-the-art email security solutions to ensure better protection and all-round efficiency of their cyber security posture.
Hackers are sending out malicious content every second of the day. Is your defense mechanism ready?